Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
-TS Eliot-


I appreciate getting a new start every January 1st, but when the clock struck midnight welcoming in 2008, I couldn't help but be a little sad to say goodbye to 2007.

I began 2007 in a hotel room in Atlanta followed by a few days of Passion- always good to start a year off with a spiritual focus. I got to speak to Dr. John Piper in front of a few thousand others! Intimidating, but very exciting to have that opportunity.


I started a new job shortly after that-- and aside from being lucky to have a job as a Republican in this city at that point, I got luckier in finding friends like Erin... Shane... Kathryn. And coworkers like J-Lough, Anfuso, Jackie, Dee Dee. And bosses like Anne, Ben, and the boss.



One of the most memorable and special parts of 2007 was making the trek to Chicago in February and meeting up with Jono and Julie for a night downtown. We waited a good two or three hours for a deep dish pizza and then literally froze walking back up Michigan Ave to our hotel. The next day we drove to Sterling to surprise Dad and be there for his induction into the Sterling High School Hall of Fame. Just a really special time for our family to be together without kids and spouses (although we love them!) and connect with Mom and Dad's roots and our extended family in Sterling who we see so infrequently.


Meeting the President with Mom and Dad!


Shamrock Fest, St. Patrick's Day, and Cinco de Mayo at our house... good times with good friends. Except when Shane decides to push people through glass panes.


Patrick coming into my life thanks to David!! I was so nervous to meet him hahaha. Then after a few balcony chats, I knew we were kindred spirits. Couldn't resist this picture :)


New Orleans! My first real trip for no other purpose than just needing and wanting to go somewhere for me. Hand Grenades with some hilarious locals, jazz at that one bar on Bourbon where I just tapped my foot and smiled, the classic rock bar across the street from the jazz place with the great electric guitarist, and of course... Martin Sexton.


A new addition to the Shaffer family! Kyle David born in May (bad aunt for not remembering the exact date!!! May 18?)


Memorial Day weekend at Muffin's on Long Island. Overnight drives and Naps and books and that really good sandwich made by what's his face at the General Store. Whisky wind and bonfires.


St. John! Snorkeling, beaches, and discovering the Rhonda special: Peanut butter sandwiches and a beer. Guitar playing under the stars every night.


Saying goodbye to Michael James Haffner, which makes me tear up as I write this. I'm still confused and upset. You are so missed.

Monticello for my birthday!


Being so excited to be a part of and celebrate Brian and Joanne Parker's wedding in October!


Going to California for Mom's 60th and presenting her with a memory book I thought turned out so great :)



Hispanic Heritage Awards with Wayne... Halloween at Muffin and Sweeting's... Metro Cooking and Entertaining Show for Liz's Birthday... Thanksgiving at home... Army Navy... Christmas... Ringing in the New Year at Muffin's with good food and wine and great friends.

New Year's Resolutions for 2008:
1. Diet. Kathy Napoli Style.
2. Continue to learn the guitar
3. Take the LSAT
4. Become spiritually financial

Happy New Years! May 2008 overflow with family, friends, faith, and love.

No comments: