Monday, October 29, 2007

Moment with the Savior

I'm in Sarah Owen's New Testament Survey small group which meets on Monday nights in the NCC basement next to Ebs. This week we've been going through John. So different than the other gospels! John wanted to get to the core of the who, what, where, why questions about Jesus' life and mission. I appreciate that about him... his curiosity and depth.

I focused on John Chapter 10 today where Jesus is talking about being the Good Shepherd. John 10:14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me."
I know God knows me. He made me! I'm learning this more as God reveals different little parts of my heart that I never even knew existed. He already knows the whole picture; I'm just discovering the pieces one at a time. What amazes me about verse 14 though is that I know God. It's easy to be confident that He knows me, but He is confident that I know Him!

John 10:27 "My sheep recognize my voice."
I think so often as Christians we struggle to hear God speak to us. The Upward Bound Retreat a few weekends ago was a perfect time to practice listening to God in our times of prayer and solitude. In the solitude exercise, we finally shut up long enough to listen to God. When we were downloading from that time of solitude, many of us shared the fear that when we thought we were hearing God, maybe we were actually just hearing ourselves! I'm sure this sometimes happens when we ask questions like "Will I be a millionare?" and a big bold YES pops into our heads haha. But really, can I be so bold to say that I DO know when it's actually God's voice speaking to me? I know His voice above mine... above satan's... above others. It sounds different, friends. It resounds. It brings immediate peace and casts away all doubts that "maybe it's not really God."

Let's today rest in the confidence that we know God and we can recognize His voice.

No comments: