Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ready for a Harbaugh-handshake, Clint?

It's College GameDay! It has been an awesome season at Stanford Stadium so far - tailgating in Eucalyptus Grove... playing corn toss thanks to my dad's superhuman carpentry skills... and most importantly of course, watching the Cardinal go 7-0!


And while we have been LUCKy (get it? ahh I'm so clever...) to have won by at least 27 points and as many as 54 points in every game so far, I have to admit that I'm a teensy nervous for today. Because TODAY is... DAH DAH DAH....


Ohhhh lordy. Let's look at the last five, shall we?
2010: Stanford 37 - USC 35 (Not exactly decisive but... I'll take it!)
2009: Stanford 55 - USC 21 (ahhh that's more like it :))
2008: Stanford 23 - USC 45 (oh NOOOOO... I blame this on USC revenge for 2007)
2007: Stanford 24 - USC 23 (Unranked Stanford upsets #1 USC!!)
2006: Well. This is my blog. So I get to say who cares about 2006 anyway? To hell with 2006!

Now, I love Stanford Football. I want to go to sleep tonight at 8-0. It's alllllll about the game. And the win over a team I have hated since the 1996 Rose Bowl against Northwestern. But the Stanford vs USC match up goes deeper than all of that. Every year, this day is not just about beating USC. It's about a whole year's worth of bragging rights over USC's biggest fan (and one of my oldest and best friends) Clint Bradford. For Clint and I, the razzing, the glory, and the passion behind the rivalry is ongoing no matter what day of the year it is. Let me be clear (ha, clever me again!), the clashing of horns between us about USC can be funny and friendly... but it is most certainly *serious*. So today I am practicing my BEST Jim Harbaughesque handshake in preparation for my victory celebration over Clint (err... I mean Stanford's victory over USC) when the buzzer sounds tonight. Are you ready for me, Mr. Bradford?