Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tragedies Abound

Terrible things are happening to dear friends. 

This is to be expected when we are lead through a world that's not our home. I stole that line.

Is the shock value in all of it a result of being young? In another 25 years will I be less shocked, less devastated?

I want to unapologetically talk about some things I'm thinking about. 

I'm feeling really overwhelmed by all of the things that are going right. My body is functioning as it should be. Being a student of anatomy right now makes that realization more remarkable than ever before. It is more apparent than ever that we hang in a delicate cradle of grace with anything related to our bodies. I am so glad I am starting to understand that reality. 

Jacob wrestled with God. Do you bible scholars ever think about that? He WRESTLED with GOD. Genesis 32 right? We really are left with no details of that exchange. We can suggest that it had something to do with Jacob's guilt over his past with Esau but even then... not really. Of all the things to wrestle with God about and it's about Esau? I don't know, I just... am not convinced it was reduced to just that. But we don't know and we won't. We only know that it happened. And what I take is this... Wrestling with God doesn't mean we deny him. It doesn't mean we turn away. It doesn't mean we don't trust or love or thirst or deny. Wrestling is another form of exchange. Of balance. Of understanding. Oh God won't you give me a kernel of understanding after this match is finished? 

I'm overjoyed by the liberation that comes with true faith. No play acting, no apologetics, no censorship. I'm gritty! I'm crass! I'm immature! I'm provocative! I'm unconventional! I'm grounded. And oh, my roots are growing deep with every drink.

I see my need for external validation peeling away one layer at a time. I'm not sure why this is important yet but feel that it must be. 

Friends, we must talk to friends in crisis with the same persistence we do in peace. We must approach them with confidence and care and compassion. Now is not the time to be silent! Be bold with your friends. Always.

Thankful and angry. Certain and shaken. Uplifted and off-base. 

I remain,

Confidently humbled. 

No comments: