Friday, July 18, 2008

Remembering Tony Snow



Tony Snow's funeral was yesterday at the Basilica of the National Shrine of Immaculate Conception in DC. It was open to the public - which seems enormously appropriate given what kind of guy Tony was. The President gave remarks - here are my favorite excerpts:

In a life that was far too brief, he amassed a rare record of accomplishment. He applied his gifted mind to many fields: as a columnist, newspaper editor, TV anchor, radio host, and musician. He had the sometimes challenging distinction of working for two Presidents named Bush. As a speechwriter in my Dad's administration, Tony tried to translate the President's policies into English. As a spokesman in my administration, Tony tried to translate my English into English.

Tony Snow, the professional, is a hard act to follow. Tony Snow, the man, is simply irreplaceable. Everyone who worked with him quickly grew to love him. We will always remember his wry sense of humor and abundant goodness. We'll also remember he was just a lot of fun. After all, he played six different musical instruments and was a proud member of a band called Beats Working. He may be one of the few people in history to have jammed on the South Lawn of the White House and with Jethro Tull.

The day Tony was born was also the day that many of his fellow Catholics pay tribute to Saint Justin. Justin was also a gifted thinker and writer, and a powerful witness for the Christian faith. Because of his beliefs, he suffered many times of trial, and in the year 165 A.D. he was arrested. Before he received a sentence of death, he was asked: "If you are killed, do you suppose you will go to heaven?" Justin replied: "I do not suppose it, but I know and am fully persuaded of it." Tony Snow knew that, as well. That brought him great peace. When talking about the struggle he waged so admirably, he said that no matter how bad times may sometimes seem, "God doesn't promise tomorrow, he does promise eternity." And so today we send this man of faith and character and joy on his final journey. Tony Snow has left the City of Washington for the City of God. May he find eternal rest in the arms of his Savior. And may the Author of all creation watch over his family and all those who loved him, admired him, and will always cherish his memory.

At the time Tony Snow started his second stint at the White House in May 2006, I was finishing up my internship with Mrs. Cheney. I remember how excited people were to have him; how fresh he looked on the podium. I always thought he was so handsome and dapper (a Jon Shaffer or Tim Ganey if you will :) ). About a week into his arrival, I was standing in the doorway of EEOB 200 on my way to do an errand and as I bounced out into the hallway I nearly walked straight into him. I recognized him immediately as he looked up and we exchanged apologies for our near-collision. I took advantage of the opportunity to welcome him to the White House to which he replied with a chuckle and a "Thank you, damn good to be here." (That's one of four "almost ran into" stories that I'll never forget from that internship).

At the politicals rally in February 2007, Tony warmed up the crowed at DAR before Mrs. Bush and the President came out. His enthusiasm and energy matched his reputation. I was definitely NOT prepared, though, for him making the Cabinet Members START THE WAVE in Constitution Hall. He was like - let's go guys! David and I were like OH my gosh our bosses are starting the wave. It was seriously priceless.

I remember seeing him on TV or at an event after the cancer had aged his hair and stolen some of the color from his face. Still, I didn't know he was so close to the end, so waking up to a text from David last Saturday with the news was pretty shocking. However peripherally, I'll remember him well... shuffling down the white and black checkered drafty EEOB hallway in his pink button down with rolled up sleeves and glasses on the tip of his nose pouring over a memo. Youthfully bright eyed, smiling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Likely the first (and only) time that any Presidential Cabinet did the Wave! Thanks for sharing the joy that Tony brought to a serious job.