Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fourth of July

My favorite holiday EVER (and my niece's birthday... Happy 5th Bday Hannah!). I had gotten in from Wisconsin pretty late on Thursday night, but got up bright and early at about 5am on Friday to drive out to Monticello in Charlottesville, Virginia to attend the annual 4th of July Naturalization Ceremony on the back lawn. President Bush was invited to give the keynote speech for the ceremony and since Erin was doing press advance for the event and snagged me and her family great VIP seats, I couldn't pass it up :). I got there just before 8:30am per what I THOUGHT were my instructions but as it turned out 8:30am was like the drop dead cutoff to get a shuttle up to the event. So all the Monticello people were like... nope, sorry, secret service cut it off. I was like just you wait Monticello people! Erin Brady pulls through and about five minutes later a lady comes down and says "get in the bus!" Sweet.

Erin in action...

The event was so awesome. We were third row VIP section right behind Secretary Don Evans and next to the group of 72 people who were becoming citizens that day. There were probably 1200 people on the lawn in total... flags, red white and blue, a really great patriotic band, and gorgeous weather. There are always chills before the President comes out for a speech and this was of course no different.


So to have him there welcoming the new citizens on our Nation's birthday.. to be looking at all of their different skin colors and clothes and ages... and thinking about how each of them have a story about getting here and going through everything they did to become Americans... it chokes me up. It really does.


Citizens taking the oath...

Despite a rain downpour and second guess or two while in line, a bunch of us got to go to the White House for fireworks that night! It was pretty neat, I'm not going to lie. I have lived in DC for six years now and this is my FIRST 4th of July in the city so it was definitely cool to be at the White House for it. We ate ice cream and trolled for souvenirs (the 4th of July at the WH cups were hot on the market) and showed Keylin and Marco the Oval Office and Rose Garden, etc. I thought Marco was going to faint when the President came out on the balcony and everyone sang Happy Birthday. Fun to be able to share something like that with our Venezuelan friends!

Side note -- David captured the perfect picture of what it looks like when Patrick and I are being what he calls "excluge" haha. We just get in these intense conversations and they are NOT for interlopers! What else can I say?!


I love July 4th. It's picnics and sun and flags and songs and BBQs and patriotic. It's a holiday completely independent of consumerism, materialism, or family angst (which I am lucky enough to say is always at a very minimum with my family but think it worth mentioning since so many holidays are dreaded because of it). Instead it's a reminder of who we are and where we came from, it's a celebration of that history and future, and it's just plain fun. I'm cheesily proud to be an American and am totally secure in that.

No comments: