Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Deep Thoughts at the Gas Station

8:18am this morning I pulled up to Sunoco and started pumping the $4.21/gallon gas in my car. I noticed the "up to 10% ethanol in this gas" sticker; very new and shiny against the chipping paint and pealing graphics on the pump. When I first got my car in January, it cost $40 to fill up my tank. Now I am hitting around $53. So I'm standing there pondering how the 10% ethanol is eroding the rubber tubing of my car motor but it's good for the environment and pursuit of independence from foreign oil so I'm ok with that trade off. I think about how $13 extra dollars a tank due to rising gas prices should in no way be referred to as a national crisis worthy of releasing the SPR. I'm thinking this as a dreadlocked beanie hatted dude filling up his delivery truck turns to me and says - "The people in this country need to stop complaining about these gas prices. Shut your mouths, fill up your tank of gas, and go to work. Go to the store with the money you make from work and get your cereal and milk. You think other people around the world have that luxury of going to the store for their cereal and milk? NO! They're standing in long lines for their one bowl a day of U.N.-provided oatmeal." I was like... whoa! Amen, brother! A voice of reason from an unexpected source. Deep thoughts at the gas station this morning.

No comments: