Monday, July 5, 2010

#16 Go Vegetarian: Day 5

I'm almost through Day 5 and my best description of what it has been like so far is... no big deal.

I'm not craving meat. I'm not having a hard time finding things to eat or recipes to make. I'm not finding it difficult to plan ahead.

I've now read through my book, "The New Becoming Vegetarian" and found it mostly unhelpful. It's a crash course in nutrition, which I took as a nursing prerequisite last fall. Coming off that disappointment, I have purchased a used copy of "Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollen, a book that has been on my "to read" list for quite awhile now. I also plan to squeeze in "In Defense of Food." My expectations are that these books will be equally as valuable to me as "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver was a few years ago. "AVM" inspired me to join the Orchard Country Produce CSA Co-Op while I was in DC. (Click here to read my old post about that!)

So what AM I eating? I have gotten through two BBQs (including a July 4th party!) by choosing veggie burgers. They are delicious and I don't miss the real thing. But day to day I have been living off the homemade granola bars, whole wheat pesto pasta salad for lunch, and lots of gazpacho for dinner. Turns out that recipe make a TON of the stuff so it is admittedly getting a little tired! I am getting ahead of myself in wanting to make szechuan noodles, couscous salad, spinach pie, white arugula pizza, and vegetable frittata. I'm worried I'm not getting enough protein even with eggs and cheese and I have a goal to incorporate more legumes into my diet.

I will say I get hungry more often. I'm okay with it but it's noticeable. Nothing has changed with my bowel movements yet (TMI? haha) and I'm sure I haven't lost any weight since I haven't been in the gym as much as I need to be in order for that to happen.

As I write this on Day 5 I can honestly say I am considering making this more permanent... considering it.

1 comment:

Marc Clark W. Griswold said...

TMI on the BM info FYI! Hope all is well!

Marc