Monday, May 19, 2008

Colorado!

I'm a week late on this post, but two weekends ago I visited Liz in Colorado! It was a last minute decision and it was totally serendipitous that I was able to go. I had a free southwest flight I used to get there and back AND my boss was out of town on Monday and Tuesday so I was able to take the extra time off.

I had planned to take the first nonstop flight out of Baltimore on Saturday morning at 10:20 so I set my alarm the night before to give me plenty of time. I woke up in my bed with the sun streaming into my room and was very disoriented when I realized my alarm didn't go off because I had forgotten to turn off the "off on weekends" feature. So 8:56am I wake up and I'm like... OH MY GOSH I'm never EVER going to make it. But something in me was still going to fight to try, so I was out the door and on the road by 9:01am. I booked it down the parkway, hit a little traffic, and was basically resigned to missing the flight. I pulled up to the parking lot at 9:47 and surprisingly got on the shuttle and to the terminal by just before 10. Ok so 10:03 rolls around and I'm having to stand in line to check in since I was using a pass... anyway I tell the lady that I'd like to still try for the 10:20am so she hands me a security pass and just says "RUN!" So I get through security, run to the gate (which was a super far one) and huffed and puffed a "Did I make it!?" to the boarding people. And sure enough... at 10:18am... I make it into the flight and take a seat. I could NOT believe I made it! I was telling myself all along that I just wasn't supposed to get on that flight, but as it turns out I guess I really WAS supposed to get on it! I would have lost three hours or so in Colorado so that was a crucial catching of flight. 8:56am wake up in DC for a 10:20am Baltimore flight... OMG!
So I got to Denver at about noon local time and Liz picked me up in a sweet Tahoe Hybrid she borrowed from their fleet and we headed off to Aspen straight from the Airport. The drive was SO beautiful.

It was off season so we caught a good deal from the St. Regis there. I know, I know. We're so ridiculous. Liz and I always manage to "live well" together haha. It was a nice retreat - lots of time in the awesome bathrobes (I'll spare you the pictures) drinking wine on our terrace overlooking Aspen Mountain, relaxing in the hot tub, eating at an amazing restaurant for dinner, and taking advantage of the St. Regis hospitality. There were some VERY attractive men working there!

We went to brunch at this place called the Wienerstube (hilar) and when we came out it was like watch out for that enormous bear blocking the stairs...

So Sunday after we walked around some shops in Aspen for a bit, we drove back to Denver and had a BBQ with her coworkers that night. Fun to meet the people she has been working with for these past few months. It was a little behind enemy lines-ish haha but they are very nice people. I had never been to Denver before so I walked around the pedestrian mall area all day Monday... walked all the way down to the river and around the park and then made my way back up through the shops. Liz had a bunch of must see suggestions so it definitely took up the full day. We ate at the Vesta Dipping Grill that night. It was a neat concept - they have all these sweet, savory, or spicy sauces that you order to dip your food in. Clearly a place for Liz and Carrie. Tuesday I met up with my former coworker Jackie who just moved out there - fun to see her and hear about her great wedding just a short time ago. I flew out that night and made it back to DC in one piece. I'm really really glad it worked out for me to go out there - I would have been disappointed if I hadn't gotten the opportunity to see Liz's life out there so it was definitely a great trip!

1 comment:

Shannon :: The Scribble Pad said...

You got incredible pictures! Every time I was out and about with my camera, it was hazy and ovecast so all I got was grey.

Wonderful post...eagerly awaiting the next one! :-)