Monday, February 4, 2008

Mom and Dad in DC

I had a GREAT visit with Mom and Dad last weekend-- it's so fun to have them experience my life here in DC. With California so far away, it's hard to keep them involved and updated with my friends, job, church, etc.

I picked up my NEW CAR (!!!!!!) on Saturday morning (Thank you Brennan for dragging yourself out of bed and taking me to Manassas wayyyy early on a weekend morning) and picked Mom and Dad up from Dulles on Saturday night. We went to church at Ebenezers then off to an amazing meal at 1789 - a restaurant I hadn't been to before, but Mom and Dad went to when they lived here in the 70s. It was very fancy :)

Sunday went to the National Cathedral (neat tour I hadn't done before) and walked the Monuments then had a super fun dinner at Filomena with BW, Brennan, and Paul. But then, there's no such thing as a NOT fun dinner with BW, Brennan, and Paul.

Monday was State of the Union! We had all our "R" and SOME semi-indifferent "D" friends over for David and my 3rd Annual SOTU Tex Mex and Watch Party.

Tuesday night I got to include Mom and Dad in a real Washington-style evening-- we went to the Denny Hastert Tribute Dinner at the Ronald Reagan WTC atrium. Newt Gingrich and Bob Michel hosted the event-- other big wigs included Boehner, Oxley, Blunt etc.



Denny hosted a staff reception after at Johnny's Half Shell... SO great to see the old Hastert crew and reconnect with some people I had lost track of. My short time in that office was nothing short of remarkable.



On Wednesday my parents got to meet my boss! Then Johnny treated David, myself, and M & D to lunch in the West Wing at the White House!! So exciting to be able to have that experience with them... and a very small way to say thank you for all their dedication to my education, career, and life in DC. I would have never gotten further in this city than my 8th grade class trip if not for their support! I'm a lucky girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your story! I happened to note that you went to an event at Johnny's Half Shell. I have to plan a fundraiser soon... how did you like the venue? Staff? Food, Service, the Works?! Thanks for the insight. Based on your words and photos, I feel we may have the same interests in mind.

Carrie said...

Wow hello anonymous -- I thought only like two people aside from my mom read my blog so thanks for making me feel legitimate haha. Johnny's ended up working really well for the purpose it needed to serve for the post-dinner/smaller-scale event. They cleared out the room to the far left as you walk into the restaurant for us, so we were able to feel "removed" from the restaurant but not confined b/c the room is big enough for a stand-up reception. Service was great- two examples I can point to - the open bar was pretty much done and it was the end of the night and one of the bartenders went to the regular bar to get me one more drink :) and a different staffer helped me put on my coat after getting it from the coat room for me. Small thing, but I remembered it and was thankful! We didn't do much on the food front since we had come from dinner, but they did have some little desserts that I'm not sure many people paid much attention to. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!