Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WSP: A Look Back...

I'm flying out to DC tomorrow to see my dear friends Sean and Shana get hitched - and it has gotten me thinking about how SIX years have gone by since I first met this band of crazies. It all started with my Semester at Sea roommate Liz who did a semester in DC after we got off the ship. Almost all my DC friends (except my gays and coworkers) come from some connection to that initial WSP 2005 group (which we affectionately called The Bartlett Administration at the time - and of which Sean was/is POTUS and Shana, then, FLOTUS). Anyway here we are 6 years later, and I couldn't help myself from going back through pictures now that I have some back from storage and realizing how it feels like EVERYTHING has changed, NOTHING has changed, and... above all... how often we were in costume.

This is the earliest group picture I could find, but I definitely remember pictures from the EOS apartment days and the "tiki" party someone threw. (Does anyone have those? Send them to me and I'll add them!) Anyway I believe THIS Halloween was at Callanan and Erika's apartment in somewhere VA, right? PS Who is that blonde girl next to Liz? What man did she belong to? 

 

These pictures are from right after Liz, Rachel, and I moved into 548 - was crazy hats not the first party we ever threw there?? I think it was...


Of course the next right move was to evolve in complexity from hats to full-on 80s, which we did QUITE well. What I remember from this night is setting up a PROJECTOR in the living room to blast 80s music videos on. And streamers. Oh my god I worked for EVER on those twirly streamers all over the ceilings. I also remember Steve "Big Guns" Allen and his Navy buddies showing up in normal human clothes and proceeding to raid Liz's wardrobe for "80s" looks. And, as always, flip cup in the kitchen and Callanan ending up amongst the trash. 


Shamrock Fest. I want EVERYONE to know that I really REALLY restrained from publicly revealing the pictures I have in my arsenal from Shamrock Fest. I think we made it to two Shamrock Fests as a crew and I cannot stop laughing at why that was deemed the BEST POSSIBLE TIME for Muffin's homemade empanadas to make their first entrance. Also noteworthy - remember when POTUS and Muffin like legit RACED up that stupid climbing wall in the middle of the parking lot? Good GOD.
 
Another Halloween - at Muffin and Sweeting's place near H St. Corridor. I. HATE. HALLOWEEN. But I think I finally was a good sport and put on like a Minnie Mouse costume at the last minute. Regardless, Roman's costume definitely takes the cake on this one for me. And also this is where I first start seeing Tiff show up in pictures! (Other than Memorial Day in Orient... which I can't find my pictures of!) 


Ok now for some nice ones... Birthday in Monticello, TRADEMARK picture of us on the barrels on the North Fork, Cute one of Liz and I on the Speaker's Balcony, and a Family Thanksgiving Dinner shot (in an effort to represent ALL the MANY family meals we enjoyed together... even the all-out Christmas Brunch where we had the unexpected Fire Department guests show up. Oops.) And OF COURSE the last time we got all gussied up for Phil and Tiff's wedding :)


I'm sorry if this post feels disjointed or exclusive to those of you who don't know anyone in these pictures... but for me it is amazing reminder of the history I have going into the weekend ahead with these dear friends. Having TOO MANY hilarious pictures and memories to chose from is one of the best problems I can think of to have. All of these memories are made even sweeter when I think about the last time I was in DC which was for the trial (and wouldn't you know it - the only picture I could find from that trip was one of Muffin drinking BOONES (!!!!) on his couch after the trial went in recess for the day). All of these friends (including others outside DC, specifically Clint who has actually been by my side for three years longer than WSP friends) have been there from the morning we found ourselves in the hospital waiting on Rachel to wake up... to showing up at 548 to help move us out around the horrific scene the house had become... to supporting us in dealing with the media and detectives and laywers... to sitting in the court room EVERY DAY of the trial despite needing to be at work. Well.. happy days are here again, Bartlett Administration! It is going to be a GREAT weekend of celebration and I cannot WAIT to see you all.

UPDATE: I just found these that are either relevant to the aforementioned memories OR just couldn't be left out... Disfrutan!

The climbing wall at Shamrock Fest... WITH MUFFIN AND POTUS en route!

Muffin and his empanadas!

I found Orient pics! 1st comes love, then comes marriage, then the baby in the baby carriage = Phil and Tiff


How does one comment on perfection such as this?!
POTUS and FLOTUS
Orient, NY. The most relaxing place on earth because there's nothing else to do but relax.
Or make out with guys in canoes... (You're welcome!)

1 comment:

Lizzard said...

This brought me tears of joy and more than few burtsts of laughter. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment about how much the group means, even as time has gone on and taken us all on different paths. Thanks for posting Care. Much love to the WSP extended family.