Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Network Blackout

The last email I received today was at 12:38pm. It is now 4:52pm. For someone who receives somewhere around 5 or so emails a minute during business hours... this is absolutely the worst thing ever.

Internet, yes. But it does us no good when we have no email. No access to schedules or contacts. No shared drives. We're absolutely incapacitated.

QB's Dad was one of the West Wing big shots for a former Administration that was in office before all of this email and blackberry business. I had lunch with him not too long ago and asked him - in all honesty - how did they function without email? How did ANYTHING get done in this town before email? He laughed and explained that desks were much more cluttered with memos and phones rang much more often. I like this explanation but my little email-dependent brain still cannot quite grasp how that system possibly worked.

The CIO just confirmed the best case scenario - back online by tomorrow morning at the earliest. You have got to be joking me. Ask me offline what directive my boss gave to the CIO. I heard it and was like... well hopefully THAT will get them moving!

Hope you are having a more technologically functional day!

2 comments:

Shannon :: The Scribble Pad said...

Oh my...that must have been a disaster! I would hate when the system would freeze for 30 minutes!

Carrie said...

Shannon I'm not kidding you would die -- we are STILL without access to stuff except new emails and it has been almost 48 hours. I can't believe it has been so bad!!!!