Monday, September 22, 2008

Great Falls and Riverbend National Park


Got my butt up and moving on Sunday morning and took off for Great Falls and Riverbend National Park for a 10.5 mile loop starting at the Riverbend National Park Nature Center and winding down along the Potomac through Great Falls National Park. This was my first hike since the Fall weather has just begun to creep in, so it was absolutely ideal for hiking. The trail went along the Potomac for a few miles and to the outlooks over the waterfalls. I stopped at watched a kayaker climb up the rocks and then ride down the falls - pretty cool. I find my hiking ideas mostly from "60 Hikes Within 60 Miles" DC version and these directions were a little difficult to follow. I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on some rock scrambles on the riverbed. Whoops. I kept thinking if I just went a little further I would make it to another trail head. This is clearly how people get lost! Anyway the hike should have taken about 5-6 hours but I got 'er done in about 4.5 so I was really proud of myself. My legs are really sore today though!

No comments: