Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bangkok... check!

Just about to leave Bangkok to fly to Samui in a few minutes here, but am taking advantage of free Internet in the Bangkok Air lounge. Why aren't American airports this comfortable? There are like... snacks and everything. Amazing how customer satisfaction goes up tenfold with a bag of popcorn and cup of juice preflight!

Four movies, a 70 dollar sushi layover in Japan, several drinks and bugging the flight attendant to steal cookies from business class, and 30 hours of transit door to door got us right into Bangkok late Thursday night. We basically went right to sleep that first night but I was raring to go the next day and hiked myself down to a breakfast place (that turned out to be closed so I resigned myself to an in-hotel meal).

We spent the morning touring temples and took a much needed relaxing boat ride from one side of Bangkok to the other on the river. We had a drink at the Shangrila (that looks spelled wrong... someone help!) and took a nap before getting ready to go out.


Last night we started at the Banyon Tree Skybar on the 61st floor of the hotel and met up with a friend of Brennan's boss named Chris. I am SO glad we connected with him, as anyone knows it is a thousand times better to see any city with a local! Anyway we enjoyed the view for awhile and then headed out to a little hole-in-the-wall traditional Thai place for dinner. I told Chris he has to order to break me out of my Pad See Ew confines. It ended up being one of those dinners you wish you would never get full... so good. Dumb American alert: Did you know the Thais don't use chopsticks except for noodles? Apparently they got the fork memo a long time ago.


After dinner we went out on the town and met up with a bunch of Chris' friends... The table ended up being the beginning of a bad joke: Two Thais, a German, a Belgian, a Dutchman, and four Americans were sitting at a bar in Bangkok. Anyway the night was SO fun and I couldn't have asked for more. We ended up late night at Chris' house talking in the courtyard. He has this awesome mosquito tennis racket looking thing that zaps them that I could not get over. It was just fun, you know, getting to sit there with different people from different places with different jobs and different ideas. I didn't realize how much I needed a change of scenery! Last night made me feel like me.

Today we begrudgingly checked out of the hotel at 12pm (since we needed at least another hour or so of sleep) and headed up to the weekend market. Spent the whole day there. I love markets- they're so cool to walk around, but the problem is that since there is everything under the sun being sold, it's hard to like... actually BUY something. Is that weird? I ended up with a few doo-dads but what I really wanted was to buy Lauren and I our Chihuahua. There were many candidates for Captain Fabulous but alas I have ended up furry critter-free. Brennan was quick to want to get out of the pet section saying all he could see was disease. Cute disease at least!


Anyway off to Samui for some beach R&R... yay!

No comments: