Friday, December 31, 2010

2010

Soundtrack of 2010: Needtobreathe The Heat and Outsiders
Most ridiculous TV show I watched that isn't Big Brother: Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Best new-to-me discovery: Lafayette Library and Sideboard Cafe in Danville
Place I wish I could un-discover: Sacks in Berkeley
Best way of redeeming time: Audiobooks during my commute
Worst way of wasting time: Settlers of Catan iPhone app
Most effective personal enrichment initiative: 30 before 30 list
Best thing I cooked for the first time: Boeuf Bourginon
Worst thing I cooked for the last time: Eggplant dip
Food high: Rosemary Cashews
Food low: Meat sweats in Argentina
Best reason to be in the Bay Area this year: Giants postseason and World Series!
Most unexpected joy: A little room above a Tango studio in San Telmo
Recommendation Godsends: Ben Getto and Rachel Goble Carey
Best rediscovery: Speaking Spanish
Strongest spiritual message: God's timing is better than mine. By alot.
Random act of cross-generational culture: Taking Hannie to Annie at Regional Center but failing to keep her awake for the second half
Stupidest money expenditure: Upgrading to Business class from BA to DC
Biggest failure: Big fat UIC rejection
Greatest blessing: Heart group
Day that has prompted future blacklisting from calendars for thieving the world of Praise Goh: October 25th
Top music moment: Camaron Ochs live at Swirl
Favorite Julie blonde moment: Asking if Chris Tomlin was singing at Geoff's funeral.
Grape of the year: Old vine zin
Most disgusting and connecting human moment: Thai woman and I exchanging looks of utter disgust from a man spitting loudly next to us in the street
Cutest thing that happened at all: Keira
Craziest and most wonderful thing that happened to a friend: Julie Fox getting Zeke
Best after midnight moment: post-Disneyland McDonalds run with Taylor and Jacob
Not my finest moment: Outing a friend who isn't "out" yet
Best book I read all year: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Best place to invite myself over to: Roy and D'Aun Goble's home
Most embarrassing moment: Going ass over head in the very front of a room of 70 women on the first day of bible study when my chair broke
Best "What's in her bag": Pure Illumination Lipgloss
Most despised Catan opponent: Kevin Carey
Best part of my daily routine: Sarah and Vinnie at Alice 97.3
Smartest realization: I am too old for shots
Even more fun after all these years: Disneyland
Favorite past time: Trying to remember 1990s sunday school or camp songs
Things I'll continue to stand by: Halloween is dumb and I am too pretty to do math
Things I have to reconsider my original stance on: Dogs and Chemistry
Best made-for-TV moment: Spotting Patrick in the Sunday street fair crowd from my corner table cafe perch in Buenos Aires
Best Pandora Station: Ace of Base
"ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!" moment: Helicopter tour with Mom and Dad on Kauai
Most awesome butt buddy: Jen Weaver
Still feels good: Tahoe
Lesson learned about olive farming: Planting is a lot of work and picking isn't so bad!
Biggest community travesty: Yellow Wood closing its doors
Best thing to say to someone before they testify in court: "I will give you a thousand dollars if you do your whole testimony with an accent."
News story I actually followed: Johannes Meserle trial and verdict
Most important human moment: With Brennan in the hotel at Paul's wedding
There's a first time for everything: Gutting a sturgeon for dinner
Something that could take many categories to describe: Losing Geoff to cancer
Most uncomfortable place I felt comfortable: Soi Cowboy red light district in Bangkok
Still my favorite person to discuss "the times" with: Sweeting
Irresponsible but awesome Aunt Carrie moment: Teaching 13 year old Taylor how to drive
Favorite thing to encourage Kyle to say: I right, you wrong!
Favorite thing to encourage Nathan to say: Pick, roll, flick.
How I will remember 2010: A year characterized by the unimaginable lows of cancer, death, rejection, sacrifice, and refreshed trauma. A year redeemed in part by the simplest joys, overwhelming grace, and a continued capacity for hope.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Nice! Honored to have made the list.